Sunday, March 21, 2010

Inspiring Weekend

This weekend has provided inspiration in many ways but for the moment I will focus on it being a lesson in just doing something.  With a bit of guilt about leaving laundry and a desk piled with papers at home I decided to quit mulling over it and just take a weekend and go visit my family.  As my aunt spoke of my younger cousin this afternoon she talked about how they shared the blessing, and potential curse, of getting an idea about something and wanting to do it right away.  An email from one of my mentors, received today, cautioned me to not to spend so much time talking about what I'm going to do that you don't actually do it. Now if all this isn't enough, in reflecting on this idea of just doing something for a blog post, I recalled that the pastor referenced Nike in his sermon this morning.  My aunt and mentor I get, but from the pulpit.....for real?!  Now that's funny, and clearly I get the message about just doing something.

All of this is speaking to me and I'm going to try my best to listen.  I grew up in a home that valued process, thinking, talking.  I am thankful for this, and in many of areas of my life I think it creates a proper balance to my relatively driven personality.  However I think when it comes to this project I needed the message of just doing something that I heard and observed this weekend.  There are enough ideas floating in my head and support relating to the 30/30 Project that I cannot let time slip by due to a lot of thinking, talking, and processing rather than just doing.  Don't get me wrong I still value and recognize the importance of processing.  However I think in general this project has already pushed me in a lot of ways to launch myself into the idea of just doing, and I need to keep that momentum.

This weekend gave me a clearer sense that even within the process there is always room for immediate and constant action.  For the 30/30 Project this blog is an avenue where such action can take place.  Now, for all the subtle and clear messages I was given this weekend I am honoring them by not thinking too hard about it and I'm just posting this message. Perhaps as you read it you may consider that thing in your life that you should just do.

No comments:

Post a Comment